I just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your support over the past two years. Serving as your state representative in House District 30 has been one of the biggest honors of my life, and I’m proud of what I was able to accomplish for my community during the term.
I completed my first term as the representative in House District 30, which stretches from northern Aurora to rural Adams County east of Denver International Airport and back into parts of Thornton. I served as a member of the Joint Budget Committee and Appropriations Committee, as well as a member of the Child Support Commission and a former member of the Joint Select Committee for the Implementation of Amendment 64 Task Force Recommendations.
I am very proud of the 2013 & 2014 accomplishments:
During 2014, I focused on passing a balanced budget to help all of Colorado. Among many other funding decisions, the budget:
- Made significant increases in both K-12 and higher education funding,
- Set aside funding to help communities recover from the floods and fires of 2013
- Increased the state’s reserve fund by $130 million.
Legislation (Here are two of my sponsored bills:
- I sponsored legislation allowing community colleges across the state to offer students degrees in applied sciences.
- A bill that would redesign and increase the system for providing care to the citizens with developmental disabilities.
During the 2013 legislative session, I co-authored several bills, here are two:
- One bill was to develop a statewide 24 hour child abuse reporting hotline that created teams to review child fatalities and make recommendations to prevent future such events. (The Hotline is now in use –(844) CO-4-Kids)
- I also coauthored the bill that established the regulatory framework for the legalization of recreational marijuana.
I am looking forward to starting my new position as Assistant to the Speaker of the House, on January 7, 2015. I am looking forward to working with the speaker throughout the session.